86% of developers say open source license policies weigh heavily in package choices.
License choice is critical for organizations in all industries, but especially in highly regulated industries such as financial services or health care that want the benefits of using open source while minimizing legal and security risks.
In a follow up to a previous webinar on open source licensing basics, Tidelift's resident open source license guru Luis Villa answers some pressing questions.
Bonus! Guest speaker Kate Downing joins him in the discussion. Kate is an intellectual property attorney and has spent her entire career working with software technology companies, so she has loads of knowledge to share.
This AMA is for you if:
- You attended our last webinar and didn't get an answer to your questions
- You are interested in open sourcing your corporate projects
- You've googled any of the following: "copyleft licenses," "open source license compliance," "how to choose an open source license," "what is the difference between MIT or GPL or Mozilla license?"
- Your organization has ever faced legal consequences because you're using a package with a non-compliant license
- You need help figuring out which licenses your organization should allow
- You use open source software at all—you really should understand the basics of the licensing side of things.